Thursday, September 3, 2009

Best Friends


Steven M. Bird May 28,1983-July 23, 2003

I wanted to share a story.

Nick obviously had a hard time dealing with Steven's death. It wasn't until this year that he actually came to terms with the situation. It was the "anniversary" date and I decided to get out pictures of Steven to show the boys. I don't really know why....but it felt like time. They immediately understood that he was Daddy's best friend and they can't see him because he is in Heaven.
Coleby asked what happened to him...and immediately answered his own question with "Mommy, did he get a boo-boo on his nose?" Even though I was sad...I had to laugh a little at his question. (His brother got a boo-boo on his nose and had to go to the hospital once and it was scary to him!) I simply told him that he was in an accident and that he went to Heaven...which is as much as a 3 year old can really understand.
Coleby especially LOVED sitting at the desk and looking through pictures of "Uncle Steven". Landen was a little more reserved. He spends a little more time thinking about things and it wasn't until later that night that he asked..."Why?" That question is a little tougher to answer...but just as my Mom always told me "God had other plans...".

It brought me to tears when Nick came home and the first thing that the boys said was "Daddy, we saw pictures of you and your best friend..." He was surprised, but he actually smiled. I think it makes him feel better that the boys know about it all.
Oh, and Coleby thinks it's so cool that he's named after him.

Kids are such a blessing. They always know just what to say to make you smile and make the worst situations bearable.
We were SO blessed to have Steven in our lives.
We are blessed to have so many good memories of him....and so many great stories to tell our kids.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You guys are the best. I know that we all miss our son, Steven, very much and always will. He was a good friend to many....little did we know how many that was. We are honored that you named Coleby after Steve and know the boys will grow up to be fine young men!

Thank you,
Ken and JoAnne